WeSpeke encourages language learning by helping you make connections with other learners all around the world. Your interaction with other language learners in the online community is an essential component of your learning experience.
Interacting with others, however, requires a certain level of etiquette from all members of the online community. Made up of learners around the globe, WeSpeke is inclusive of many diverse cultures and all ages. The information on this page provides learners a common framework for engaging with each other in a respectful manner.
Please review the Code of Conduct below. If you observe something that you feel is a violation of any these community guidelines, you can use the WeSpeke flagging system to report the incident to the site administrator.
Code of Conduct
- No intolerance WeSpeke aims to host an educational environment that is welcoming for a diverse range of learners around the world. Learners are encouraged to be respectful and tolerant of one another regardless of any differences among individuals. Comments and actions that are insulting, scathing or disparaging to others are a disruption to the learning process.
- No offensive language and hate speech WeSpeke acknowledges that language learners benefit from being able to talk conversationally. While it is acceptable for learners to express themselves using slang and informal language, the use of obscene words and expressions can be offensive to others and should be avoided. In particular, hate speech toward another nationality, ethnicity, religion or gender will not be tolerated.
- No sexual harassment Learners are to be respectful of the personal boundaries of other learners. Sexual harassment will not be tolerated. It is unacceptable for learners to be expressing sexual comments or posting material of a sexual nature. Learners should not make sexual advances on others. Learners are encouraged to report these types of incidents to the site administrator.
- No intimidation and bullying Learners are encouraged to conduct themselves in a collegial manner in the online community. WeSpeke will not tolerate expressions that induce fear and anger in others, such as threats of defamation, libel or slander and threats of physical harm to others. Intimidating and abusive activities are not permitted. If learners observe this type of behavior, they can file a complaint by flagging the offending learner for the site administrator.
- No invasion of privacy It is not appropriate for learners to request personal information from each other, such as home addresses, phone numbers, and photographs. Never share a credit card number, Social Security Number, or other identification information with another learner. It is extremely risky to share personal information online. Identity theft, stalking and physical harm are some of the risks that stem from sharing too much information. Further, dishonest individuals exist who use “grooming” tactics over time to gain someone’s trust, obtain their information and cause them harm.
While WeSpeke encourages conversation and the sharing of cultural experiences, the online community is not to be abused by individuals at the expense of other learners who want to learn. These community guidelines set standards for learners to interact in ways that are always respectful of each other and of each other’s privacy.
Examples of conduct
Help us ensure a positive and productive learning environment for everybody. Please review the following examples:
|It's okay to say...||It's not okay to say...|
|Respectful of privacy...||Disrespectful of privacy...|
|Do you like your job? What do you do?||Where do you work? What's your salary?|
|What did you do last weekend?||Are you home alone right now?|
|You have a cool profile picture.||I'd like to see more photos of you.|
|Tolerant remarks…||Intolerant remarks…|
|I disagree with that statement.||Why would you say something so stupid?|
|My favorite dishes are...||Only idiots eat...|
|I prefer to go to church on Sundays.||Save your soul by joining my church.|
As a member of the WeSpeke community, you are encouraged to report any incidents that you feel are a violation of the community guidelines described above. Our site administrators will investigate your report and determine the best action to take in order to preserve a positive learning environment in our online community.